Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Exotica

In the article by Sanjukta Ghosh, “Con-Fusing Exotica”, Ghosh expresses the frustrations about the presence (or lack there of) of Indians in the US media. I was slightly confused by the article and had to read it more then once. I found Ghosh’s argument about the media’s portrayal of Indians to be slightly contradicting. At first he states that there is an “absence” of Indians and Indian culture in US media. Later he states that there is a large presence of Indian culture in the media, but it is “robbed”. There were some interesting points and examples in this piece, but I found myself a little turned off by the obvious bias present in the writing. That’s not to say I don’t believe what the author is saying isn’t true. I just think I might get a clearer idea of the situation from a more objective article. Other then that I found the points about the US incorporating Indian fashion as their own quite interesting. I was able to find a Vogue fashion spread that seemed to praise Indian culture and Fashion in a way. It displayed fashion trends reflecting Indian culture, yet it gave credit to that culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment