Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cosby Shows

The article about the popularity of the Cosby Show examined the reasons behind the international success and analyzed the relations this type of show had to race and culture. The article discussed how the show was widely successful in many international countries. What the article got me thinking about was the comparison of the Cosby Show to today’s sitcoms. As I think about it, I can already recognize several modern day shows that are presently on TV that resemble the structure of the Cosby Show. I feel that these shows are common enough now a days that I feel most people are used to these shows and don’t even note the racial aspect unless it is directly mentioned in the show. Some other shows that mirror the Cosby setup are Everybody Hates Chris, Family Matters, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Smart Guy, Sister,Sister, and My Wife and Kids. I personally see the show My Wife and Kids as something that is strikingly similar to the Cosby Show. They share a similar middle class black family setup. The images I have found illustrate the “family portraits” that represent some of these shows.


No comments:

Post a Comment